Brazilian Butt Lift Conveniently located to serve Houston and Sugar Land
Before & After
Timeless Cosmetic Surgery‘s before-and-after pictures of real patients.
What is a Brazilian Butt Lift?Brazilian Butt Lift or “BBL” is a procedure that uses a patient’s own fat, to increase the volume and projection of the butt while also improving its shape. If you feel your buttocks is small, does not have a good shape and you have enough fat then you can be a good candidate for BBL as long as you’re healthy enough to undergo this operation.
What are some factors that would make me a poor candidate for BBL?Some factors include but are not limited to if you are not healthy enough to undergo surgery, if you do not have enough fat, if your expectations are unrealistic.
What can be done if I do not have enough fat?There are times where I have to ask my patients to gain weight so that the amount of fat that can be harvested is increased.
How do you get the fat?The fat is harvested from different areas of your body using a liposuction/fat harvesting system. I use power-assisted liposuction with specialized cannulas, which allow for more efficient fat collection. I find this more efficient because I can get higher volume, better quality fat than traditional liposuction.
If I don’t have enough fat can I use someone else’s fat?No, you can’t use anyone else’s fat except for yours! If you used someone else’s fat it could cause a VERY dangerous reaction.
What about injecting silicone into my buttocks?NO! This can lead to many, VERY bad complications including but not limited to infections, change in skin color, change in skin quality, irregular skin contour, extrusion and deformity. This is NOT safe to do, so don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
What about silicone implants for the buttocks?This is another option, especially in patients that do not have enough fat, however, I do NOT perform buttock implant surgery. The reason for this is the complication rate of placing buttock implants is high and fat injection is MUCH safer.
How does fat injection to the buttocks compare to buttock implants?Fat is softer, more natural, can be injected anywhere in the buttock and there are less complications when injecting in to the buttocks, whereas buttock implants can sometimes be felt by the patient when they sit, have to be placed in a specific area of the buttocks and has a higher rate of complications.
How much fat will you inject?It depends on how much of an increase in volume you are looking for and how much fat I am able to harvest. Usually the maximum amount of fat each buttock can handle is about 1-1.2 liters.
How much fat actually survives after you inject it?After fat injection, around 50% of the fat survives.
Do you do anything to the fat to make it better?I process the fat to make it more pure which allows more fat to stay around.
How do you shape the buttocks?Shaping the buttocks is done through a combination of liposuction and fat injection. It’s all about relativity and bringing the high points low and the low points high. Liposuctioning the lower back makes the top of the buttocks look larger and creates a “shelf” that is desirable in many women. The fat can then be injected in a way that shapes the buttocks to make it either more round or heart shaped and then injected in a way to increase the volume and projection.
What happens to the fat once it’s injected into the buttocks?The fat cells develop their own blood supply and then they act like fat cells in other places of the body. This means weight loss can cause them to shrink (lose volume) and weight gain can cause them to increase in size (increase in volume).
Can I sit on my buttocks after BBL?I usually recommend staying completely off the buttocks for at least 2 weeks. After that, my patients are allowed to sit, however, I show my patients how to sit in specific way for another 2 weeks. After those 2 weeks are over they are allowed to sit and lat on their buttocks as they normally would.
Will gaining or losing weight after surgery affect my results?Fluctuations by a couple of pounds won’t affect your results much but if your weight changes by 5 pounds or more then you will start to see changes in your results. Losing weight typically makes the liposuction results look even BETTER but it can cause you to lose volume in the buttocks (smaller butt). Gaining weight will ruin the liposuction results but can lead to an increase in the volume of the buttocks (bigger butt).
What do I wear after my BBL?You will be provided with a garment that will help not only shape the areas of your body where liposuction was performed but also help to shape your butt. This garment will have to be worn for at least 6 weeks.
Why is having a BBL safer with Dr. Mehta?I perform all my surgical procedures under IV sedation (twilight) and do not use general anesthesia. No breathing tube (endotracheal tube) is needed because you are able to maintain all your protective reflexes, breath completely on your own and your blood flows better. The post-operative risks of using IV sedation (the way I do my surgeries) compared to general anesthesia are MUCH less including but not limited to decreased risk of nausea, vomiting and MOST importantly a significantly DECREASED risk of forming blood clots. Your heart, lungs and blood pressure will be monitored during the entire operative procedure and no pain will be felt during the procedure. Studies have shown IV sedation to be much safer than general anesthesia.
Will I have to stay in the hospital?As long as the net amount of fat removed is 5 liters or less then a hospital stay is not necessary. This means you will get to recover in your own home and in your own bed!
Is it safe to go home after BBL?It can be VERY safe to recover at home after BBL as long as you have a responsible caretaker to be with you for at least the first 72 hours. I believe a loved one will take much better care of you in your own home, than someone who doesn’t know you taking care of you in a hospital. Also, it is VERY likely that there are fewer germs in your home then in a hospital setting.
What if I need to speak to someone after hours?Immediately after surgery you and your caregiver will be given my personal cell phone number to call on weeknights and weekends with any questions or concerns.
How do I prepare for BBL?
Detailed post-operative instructions will be given during your pre-operative evaluation, which usually takes place about 2 weeks before your planned procedure. Here are some general helpful guidelines:
- VERY IMPORTANT!!!! Start an iron supplement along with a stool softener at least a month before surgery.
- VERY IMPORTANT!!!! Stop all herbal medication, Aspirin products (Alleve, Ibuprofen, Advil etc…), vitamin E and fish oil/Krill oil at least 1 month before surgery as long as it is approved by your physician.
- VERY IMPORTANT!!!! Stop ALL tobacco products AT LEAST 6 weeks before your surgery to decrease the risk of healing complications associated with smoking. (This includes patches and gum)
- VERY IMPORTANT!!!! Stop all hormone-based medications if approved by your physician at least 1 month before surgery. If stopping birth control please use non-hormonal methods for continued birth control.
- Arrange for someone to look after you for at least the first 72 hours after surgery. (This can be a dependable and capable family member, friend or a hired caretaker)
- Arrange transportation for your clinic appointments and for your family members because you will not be able to drive for at least 2 weeks.
- Help will be needed for housework and for small children because heavy lifting or strenuous activity will not be allowed for 6 weeks.
- Adult or puppy pee pads to place in the bed.
- 4×4 gauze
- Milk of magnesia
- Light foods and plenty of fluids are recommended after surgery with the following as examples: Electrolyte replacement drinks, soups, yogurt with acidophilus/lactobacillus, jello, pudding, crackers etc…
What will my postoperative care for BBL involve?
You will be given all the prescriptions needed during your pre-operative visit. That way you will have plenty of time to have them filled prior to surgery.
- No showering until ok’d by Dr. Mehta (usually post operative day #5)
- No driving for at least 2 weeks or while on pain medication/muscle relaxants
- No sitting or laying on the buttocks for 2 weeks then protected sitting for another 2 weeks
- No heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 4-6 weeks
- No working out for 6 weeks
- No sexual activity for 6 weeks
- Wear only surgical garments provided unless directed otherwise by Dr. Mehta
Does Dr. Mehta charge patients for follow up visits?
NO!!! I have an open door policy and do not charge my patients to come and see me after their surgery. If for any reason you feel like you need to be seen sooner than your scheduled appointment you can always call the office and the staff will fit you in.
Will my BBL be covered under insurance?
No, it won’t. This is considered a cosmetic procedure and cosmetic procedures do not get covered under insurance. Also, Timeless Plastic Surgery is a completely cosmetic based practice so we do not take insurance.
What will be provided for me?
- During your pre-operative evaluation (approx 2 weeks before surgery) you will be given prescriptions for a muscle relaxer, pain medication, antibiotic, stool softener and anti-nausea medications.
- Along with other medications during surgery you will get the appropriate dose of IV antibiotics.
- Immediately after surgery you will be provided with and dressed in the appropriate garments needed during your recovery period.
- Immediately after surgery you and your caregiver will be given my personal cell phone number to call on weeknights and weekends with any questions or concerns.
How long is the recovery?
- No driving for at least 2 weeks or while on pain medication/muscle relaxants.
- At least 1 week off work.
- No heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 4- 6 weeks.
- No sexual activity for 6 weeks.
- No working out for 6 weeks.
How often will I need to be seen for follow up?
Patient care is of the utmost importance to my staff and I. Therefore, I tend to keep a very close eye on my patients to make sure the recovery goes as smoothly as possible so that any issues can be prevented or taken care of as soon as possible. I will call you the same night of your surgery, once you are at home, to make sure everything is going well and that you and your caretaker have no questions or concerns. The following is a general schedule of appointments but can be changed at any time:
- Once a week for the 1st 2-3 weeks
- Once a month for the next 2 months
- At your 6 month mark from surgery
- At your 1 year mark from surgery
- Once a year after your 1 year mark
There is no charge for follow up appointments. If for any reason you feel like you need to be seen in between appointments or sooner than your scheduled appointment you can always call the office and the girls will fit you in.
Are there risks for this surgery?
With any surgical procedure there are risks, however, these risks are very rare and one usually is at higher risk of getting into a car accident than these risks. Some of the most common, but still infrequently occurring risks include, but are not limited to:
- Fat embolism
- Fluid collections (seroma)
- Blood collection (hematoma)
- Poor wound healing
- Irregular contour
As stated before, many precautions are taken by my staff and I to prevent these things from occurring in the first place.